If your Mac does not boot, like a gray screen with the apple that never goes there, here is the SOLUTION.
Attention: Many of the steps that we indicated in this tutorial may not return your Macbook to life, or perhaps lose valuable data in the process. For this reason we recommend before starting anything the possibility of taking your equipment to a technical service such as iFixRapid Mac Technical Service . They take care of most problems that can happen to your computer, such as: hard drive or operating system repairs when your Mac does not start, upgrades and enhancements to give you better performance or hardware problems. Best of all is that this company will give you a quote without commitment and no appointment , as it happens in the Apple Store.
- How to change the format of an external hard drive for Macbook Time Machine Backup
- How to Format a Disk in MacBook Air and Mac OS Sierra or High Sierra
- How to create or delete partitions in MacBook Air, Os Sierra and OS X with Disk Utility
- How to Make an External Hard Drive Partition on Mac
- How to create macOS Sierra hard drive partitions
- Format Mac without deleting hard drive
- Disk Utility for macOS Sierra: Protect a disk with password with Disk Utility
- Create fusion drive sierra | create fusion drive with recovery partition
- How to Partition a Hard Drive to Avoid Losing data on Mac and Windows
- Create a second partition on a Macbook disk without losing data
- Disk Utility for macOS Sierra: Create partitions on a physical disk with Disk Utility
- Disk Utility for MacOS Sierra: Erase a Volume with Disk Utility
- Repair the hard drive if your Mac does not boot
Sometimes our Mac “stays in the block” as many say, so we can not get into OS X. There are several methods to be able to solve it; so from the first to the last I left you, try it and you’re lucky! As my Macbook Pro does not boot I tried with luck and the first method solved the problem. If you have arrived here because your iPad does not boot, visit this post.
1. Method: Single User if your iMac Macbook does not boot
Mac OS X has a diagnostic and repair utility called fsck, which checks and repairs the boot partition of your Mac. To do this, follow the next steps.
- Turn off your Mac
- Press the button to turn it on and as soon as you release it press the keyboard CMD and the S key at the same time, keeping them pressed, thus entering into the Single User OSx mode.
- When you see a similar screen below: writes: / sbin / fsck -f (You can keyboard characters not correspond to physical, since it starts with the default language English characters. / And – are in the keys , and ?
- Now it is only waiting for it to finish, if you make any modifications you will see a text similar to “FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED” but will launch “HD appears to be OK”
- We reboot with the reboot command , if everything went well the system will start again perfectly. “Ruben tells us if it does not work with the five steps, we add before step 5 these commands:
mount -uw / (and press Enter)
chown root / (+ Enter)
chmod 1775 / (+ Enter)
2. Method: Safe Boot
- Power down your Mac. …
- Turn on the Mac.
- Press and hold the Shift key as soon as you hear the startup sound. …
- Hold Shift until the Apple logo appears. …
- Wait for OS X to boot in Safe Mode. …
- Log in. …
- Reboot to return to normal operation.
3. Method: Disk Utility
If your operating system is Lion or Mountain Lion, or Sierra , you can access the Recovery mode , from which you can reinstall OSx or launch the Disk Utility.
- Turn off your Mac
- Press CMD + R
- Wait a while and you will see the top screen, launch the Disk Utility or Disk Utility.
- Click on the left on your hard drive.
- When finished, restart the computer.
- If this does not work and you have a backup in TimeMachine, do all the steps again, up to 4. and try to restore a previous copy.
4. METHOD: INSTALL OS X OR MACOS ON AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE OR HD
I have added this method to be the one that gives the best result , when any of the others do not solve a problem with the boot.
Basically what we will do is follow the format tutorial mac (You have it in method 5) and when selecting the hard disk to format, we will choose an empty flash drive or without important data of at least 8GB, although I recommend 16G. They will also be worth an external hard drive or even an SD card.
This will install OS X on the external drive. Then we will start by pressing ALT if the automatic boot does not come out, we choose the new installation partition and our Mac will start. Enter Disk Utility and mount the internal hard disk to copy the most important data.
When we have recovered that data, we can go to Method 5 and completely format the internal hard disk.
5. METHOD: REINSTALL OS X (ALL DATA WILL BE LOST)
You can follow the following tutorial to format your iMac here. In the case of reinstalling it without formatting, normally the data is not lost although it never hurts to make a backup.
6. METHOD: TURN OFF YOUR ROUTER AND DISABLE IPV6.
Thanks to Albert, I was able to find out that the Comtrend VG8050 phone router produces a lock and hangs some Macs with OS X version lower than Lion . It is a problem in the IPv6 protocol , so to be able to solve it we must turn off our router first and then follow the following steps:
- We turn off our Router and our Mac.
- We turn on the Mac.
- In this step we can update and install Mavericks from usb (It’s free!) So that everything works correctly or else disable the IPv6 protocol.
- To deactivate the IPv6 protocol we will go to Network Preferences (click on the WiFi icon).
- We will choose the Airport if we connect by WiFi or Ethernet if we connect by cable.
- Click on Advanced in the lower right corner.
- And in the first screen that appears, we look for IPv6 that will be marked Automatically , and we set it to Off.
- Now we can turn on the Router, and check if our Mac does not really hang.
Updated: In case the hard disk is not recognized, you will have to buy another one to replace it. Remember that if your mac does not start and is still under warranty , manage the free repair with Apple. The boot problems on Mac sometimes not solved by any of these methods because of problems with your hard disk.
In Amazon Spain you have a wide assortment and with very good prices, any doubt write me a comment below and I will be happy to answer you.
2.5 ” Hard Drives and 3.5″ Hard Drives
It can also happen that your Mac does not boot and a forbidden symbol appears, which may be due to a problem with EFI boot or a problem with the hard disk . try the previous steps in the same way.
On the other hand, if a gray process bar appears on startup , there is no need to worry, in principle our Mac is performing an automatic process to correct problems with the boot, possibly due to a bad shutdown. Your mac does not boot and a forbidden symbol appears ? Try the above steps to rule out other possible faults.
OTHER METHODS AND SOLUTIONS WHEN YOUR MAC DOES NOT START
That a computer does not boot is a very big problem . The operating system does not start, so you can not do anything with it. Of course, in the case of the Mac there are several tips that you can take into account and, above all, try in order to start the operating system has a new opportunity . You will not lose anything for carrying out these operations.
Here are several steps to follow that will allow you to revive the startup of your Mac . We do not promise wonders, but we do try to solve many problems.
MAKE SURE YOUR MAC TURNS ON
One of the most common problems in support services is that people call to ask why the operating system does not boot. The reason is that the hardware itself does not turn on , thus preventing the software from working. Check that nothing is moving inside the computer (fans, hard disks, lights) and that the device is plugged into the mains .
It is also advisable to try on the equipment with several adapters, disconnect all the accessories or exchange the components . Remember that you can also reset the SMC (we’ll see how to do it later).
THE COMPUTER TURNS ON BUT NO VIDEO SIGNAL
It is possible, too, that the computer turns on but the screen does not show anything. It is clear that you have a problem. If the problem is with the monitor, you should call Apple Technical Support. In any case, check that the computer is receiving power, that all the cables are connected correctly, and that the screen is compatible with your Mac .
It is also advisable to disconnect all accessories, clean the video connector and use different adapters . Do not forget to try to boot in Safe Mode.
LOOK FOR ERRORS ON THE HARD DRIVE IF YOUR MAC DOES NOT BOOT
A corrupted hard drive may be responsible for the operating system not booting. Thanks to the Recovery Mode you can try to find fault in the storage device.
As of version 10.8 of OS X the disk utility is available in Recovery Mode . Press the Command and R keypad while turning on the computer. You only have to start the utility of disks and verify the same ones to discard problems that have not seen before.
macOS High Sierra | Format a disk for Windows computers
You can format a disk or volume as a secondary volume for use with the Windows operating system you have installed on your Mac using Boot Camp. You can also prepare an external disk for a Windows computer by formatting it with two MS-DOS formats.
WARNING: Formatting a disc or volume erases all the files it contains. Save all the files you need to another volume before performing the formatting.
- In the sidebar, select the disk or volume you want to format for use with Windows computers.
- Click the Delete button , click the Format drop-down menu, and then select one of the following options:
- MS-DOS (FAT): Selects this option if the disk size is 32 GB or less.
- ExFAT: Select this option if the disk size is greater than 32 GB.
- Enter a name for the volume.The volume name can be up to eleven characters long.
- Click Delete, and then click OK.
- 1 If your Mac does not boot, like a gray screen with the apple that never goes there, here is the SOLUTION.
- 2 1. Method: Single User if your iMac Macbook does not boot
- 3 2. Method: Safe Boot
- 4 3. Method: Disk Utility
- 5 4. METHOD: INSTALL OS X OR MACOS ON AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE OR HD
- 6 5. METHOD: REINSTALL OS X (ALL DATA WILL BE LOST)
- 7 6. METHOD: TURN OFF YOUR ROUTER AND DISABLE IPV6.
- 8 OTHER METHODS AND SOLUTIONS WHEN YOUR MAC DOES NOT START
- 9 macOS High Sierra | Format a disk for Windows computers