When it comes to buying the latest in technology, be it a new smart watch, or a new laptop, you’ll want to do as much research as you can. Modern devices and products with various technological advances are a rather large investment. Being certain about your purchase before you make it, is a great way to get the most out of your money.
There are, however, many pitfalls from buying solely on company advertisements and friends and family to make your decision. That’s why reading product reviews written by customers are incredibly helpful. Here are some ways to make the most out of reading reviews while buying technology!
Sometimes, a little perspective is all you need. But knowing when someone is being completely objective about a product can be tricky. When looking at a review, make certain to read between the lines about how the writer’s perspective may be influencing their review.
For example, if someone purchases an Apple Watch, but doesn’t know how to change the Apple watch face on their product, they will become frustrated. This may lead to a negative review. Or perhaps a little thing like the way the product looks, or how it was packaged, can make a person think negatively about a piece of technology.
Being able to sort through the objective reviews can be incredibly helpful with looking for new devices and technology.
Good and Bad
A huge part of making the most out of reading reviews for new tech is to be able to sort the good reviews from the bad ones. And we don’t mean just looking at the ratings. Be sure to read the negative reviews as well as the good ones. This way you can see if the bad reviews are all about the product.
Here are a few things to look for in bad reviews:
- User Error. Is the review bad because someone doesn’t understand how to use the tech properly? Perhaps they can’t figure out set up, updates, installs, etc. By reading between the lines, you can actually get a LOT of information about the product from bad reviews.
- Price. More often times than not, negative reviews may simply be that the customer thought they spent too much money on the product. This kind of review may seem like a waste of time. There are sites like SolidGuides.com that can comb through tedious reviews for you, if that is something you’re interested in!
- Technicalities. Some bad reviews are actually completely objective, and focus on how the hardware is faulty, or why the tech is bad. These unbiased reviews will be incredibly helpful when buying technology!
Here are a few things to look for in good reviews:
- Brand Loyalty. Sometimes, let’s be honest, we buy something because of the brand name. Look to see if the review may be positive because of the brand name, or the buyer may simply have a brand loyalty.
- Specifics. Some of the best reviews are those that break down the specifics of how a product is good. Not just “It’s pretty”, though aesthetics are important. Look for positive reviews that go into detail about WHY the product is good, not just personal opinion.
- Updates. Sometimes, a product works so well, or is so satisfying that people will update an old review. This means not only did the product work, but consumers thought so highly of it to go back to an old review and update it to show how satisfied they were a few months or years down the road!
Knowing how to comb through the good and the bad for product reviews can be helpful! So, if you’re looking for one of the best digital cameras on the market, or a brand new desktop computer, then take all of these pointers into account during your search!
Reading Reviews when Buying Technology Can Be Extremely Beneficial: If You Know What You’re Doing!
Choosing to invest in some new technology shouldn’t be stressful. Looking through reviews, both the good and the bad, can help you narrow down your search to the perfect brand for you. This way you can have the latest, greatest, and most effective technology on the market!
Remember to take each review with a grain of salt, as you consider customer objectivity, reading between the lines of bad reviews, and finding specifics in the good ones. Once you’ve put our tips into place, you’ll be able to make the most out of reading all those reviews and purchase your new technology!