You have an external hard drive in which you would like, for example, to have both the Time Machine backup , as well as all your music files and your photos. To separate both functions well, ideally divide the hard disk into two partitions , so you can use all the space you have for totally different things. Making a hard drive partition is much more than creating two separate folders, but where do you start? In unComo.com we explain how to make an external hard disk partition on Mac.
- How to change the format of an external hard drive for Macbook Time Machine Backup
- How to Format a Disk in MacBook Air and Mac OS Sierra or High Sierra
- How to create or delete partitions in MacBook Air, Os Sierra and OS X with Disk Utility
- How to Make an External Hard Drive Partition on Mac
- How to create macOS Sierra hard drive partitions
- Format Mac without deleting hard drive
- Disk Utility for macOS Sierra: Protect a disk with password with Disk Utility
- Create fusion drive sierra | create fusion drive with recovery partition
- How to Partition a Hard Drive to Avoid Losing data on Mac and Windows
- Create a second partition on a Macbook disk without losing data
- Disk Utility for macOS Sierra: Create partitions on a physical disk with Disk Utility
- Disk Utility for MacOS Sierra: Erase a Volume with Disk Utility
- Repair the hard drive if your Mac does not boot
1 open Disk Utility
2 Select the disk
A window will appear and in column on the left will appear the different hard disks on your Mac (internal and external). Click on the one you want to partition.
3 Decide the Partition Size
In the tabs that appear at the top of the menu of the selected disk, click on ” Partitions ” and, once there, on the “+” symbol that appears at the bottom of the white box with the layout of the partitions.
4 Apply and Create Partitions
Click on each of the partitions and put the name you want (you will also see how much exactly each space has). When you are finished, click on ” Apply “.
5 Partition is started
The process of creating the new partition will begin. You can follow its evolution in the bottom of the Disk Utility window . Be patient!
When the process finishes, the new partition will appear in the menu on the left, under the name of the hard disk.
If you want to read more similar articles How to make an external hard drive partition on Mac , we recommend you to enter our category of Computers .