Have you ever wondered how to format your pen drive or your portable hard drive in Mac OS X? In here we want to teach you the step by step following a few simple steps with the Disk Utility that incorporates our Mac.
- How to change the format of an external hard drive for Macbook Time Machine Backup
- How to Format a Disk in MacBook Air and Mac OS Sierra or High Sierra
- How to create or delete partitions in MacBook Air, Os Sierra and OS X with Disk Utility
- How to Make an External Hard Drive Partition on Mac
- How to create macOS Sierra hard drive partitions
- Format Mac without deleting hard drive
- Disk Utility for macOS Sierra: Protect a disk with password with Disk Utility
- Create fusion drive sierra | create fusion drive with recovery partition
- How to Partition a Hard Drive to Avoid Losing data on Mac and Windows
- Create a second partition on a Macbook disk without losing data
- Disk Utility for macOS Sierra: Create partitions on a physical disk with Disk Utility
- Disk Utility for MacOS Sierra: Erase a Volume with Disk Utility
- Repair the hard drive if your Mac does not boot
1 Open Spotlight and then Disk utility
First of all we will open the Disk Utility , you can find it using Spotlight or in Applications within the Utilities folder.
2 Select the external disk
Then, to format a disk in Mac OS X or in MacBook Air running Mac OS sierra or High sierra you have to select your disk / pen drive you want to format in the left panel of the Disk Utility and select the ‘erase or delete ‘ tab .
Now you have to select the desired format in the ‘Format’ drop-down box and if you want you can give a name to the disk or pen drive in the ‘Name’ field.
4 Erase or format the disk
Once you have selected the format and name, just press the ‘Delete …’ button and confirm the operation.
5 Format ongoing
At the bottom of the Disk Utility you can see the progress of formatting .
6 Macbook Air external disk partition for Time machine backup
If you want to partition on your device, just go to the ‘Partitions’ tab, select the number of partitions in the ‘Partition Layout’ drop-down. To change the format, name and size of the partitions you only have to select the partition in the partition diagram and fill in the fields in the ‘Partition information’ section. When you have the partitions to your liking you can now give the Apply button.
If you want to read more similar articles How to format a disk in Mac OS X