Users tend to understand that to delete files in Windows they have to send them first to the recycle bin and then permanently delete them from there, and that when they do not directly and permanently delete files and folders through the combination of shift + delete keys. How to permanently delete files in windows 10?
The logical thing would be to think that after deleting the files from the trash or by using the shit + delete combination there should be no traces of these, but in reality, things do not work that way. What the Windows NTFS file system does (and those of other operating systems) is to indicate that the space occupied by the deleted files and folders is available to be reused, so that they can be recovered using the appropriate tool.
If you want to delete files in Windows in a safe and really definitive way, it is necessary to use some tool that minimizes or neutralizes the possibility of recovering them. Here comes into play SDelete, which can be obtained for free from Microsoft’s own website .
How to delete files in Windows permanently :
In addition, according to SDelete documentation, the situation is complicated in NTFS when it comes to compressed, encrypted or scattered files, since the aforementioned file system includes mechanisms to ensure the integrity of the data by managing blocks of 16 clusters, making the use of SDelete, which is supported by the defragmentation API, even
Installing SDelete in Windows 10
The installation of SDelete does not follow the steps of the conventional installer ( wizard ) that appears by double clicking on a “.exe” or “.msi” file, but a Zip with two files inside it is available: sdelete.exe and sdelete64.exe. The mentioned executables must be placed in the “C: \ Windows \ System32” folder, which requires granting administration permissions.
To use SDelete, you must start a console with administrator permissions. To do this you can go to the Windows 10 start menu (the main launcher of the operating system usually located on the left end of the toolbar), search for PowerShell, right-click on the PowerShell entry and then press the main mouse button on “Run as administrator
Then the user has to use the “cd” command to go to the location of the file or folder he wants to delete so that it cannot be recoverable.
How to delete files in Windows permanently
Executing the “sdelete” command with the “–help” parameter shows the possibilities of the tool at hand with the parameters available to use it, which can be used at the same time depending on the combination: How to delete temporary files windows 10?
- -c: Clean the free space. You must specify an option for the amount of space that you want to leave free to be used by the running system.
- -p: Specifies the number of overwrite passes. By default it is set to 1 and the longer it is established, the more likely it is to remove the traces of the deleted files.
- -r: Remove the read-only attribute.
- -s: Recursive removal of subdirectories.
- -z: Free space to zero, good for virtual disk optimization.
nobanner: Does not display the initial banner with the copyright message.
- -q: Although it does not appear in the help, it serves not to show error messages.
To delete files in Windows so that they are not recoverable, we have first gone to the test documents that we have created to demonstrate the operation of SDelete, in the subdirectory “C: \ User \ singh \ Documents \ Delete”.
Once there, we have made the decision to delete the “More documents” folder by making 3 passes (the United States Department of Defense has between its past 3 and 7 standards). Being a folder it is advisable to use the recursive deletion parameter (“-s”, which can also be applied to loose files) , in addition to using the parameter to avoid the display of error messages:
sdelete -p 3 -s -q ‘.\document\’
SDelete shows a message on the screen number of deleted directories (1) and the number of files that folder had (3).
How to delete temporary files in Windows 10
Today we will explain how to delete the temporary files of Windows 10. They are a type of files that Windows was storing to perform specific operations, and that over time they end up accumulating without having special utilities. Therefore, deleting them is always the first step to free up some internal storage on your computer.
We will explain two ways to do it. We will start with the main method that you can continue using Windows 10, which is to eliminate them through the configuration menu and the options designed for it . But then, we are also going to briefly mention two other alternative ways of proceeding, although in essence they do exactly the same although somewhat less completely.
- The first thing you have to do to delete the temporary files and enter the Windows Settings
menu ,which is where the operating system allows you to change any of its aspects. Once in it, click on the System option ,which is where you will have what is referred to your internal storage.
- Once inside the System category, in the left column click on the
Storage option(1) to access all the options related to it. Now, in the right column, you will see first the hard drives you have on your computer. Click on This device (C 🙂 (2) to access the memory configuration of the main Windows hard disk.
- After a few seconds of waiting, the screen you will enter will show you which are the main types of files with which you are occupying the hard drive of your computer. Here click on the category Temporary files to access the breakdown.
- This screen will show you the types of temporary files on your computer, and you will be able to delete the ones you want. To do this, select the types of temporary files you want to delete. You can select the conventional temporary files, the files in the download folder, those in the recycle bin and those in previous versions of Windows.
- Once you have selected the types of temporary file you want to delete, scroll down on the same screen until you see the Remove files button. Here, just click on this button Remove files to start deleting the ones you have selected.
How to delete files permanently and securely in Windows 10?
When you delete files with File Explorer, they are usually deleted to the Recycle Bin. Therefore, they are not really removed until this is emptied. Even then you may still be able to restore some deleted files with the file recovery software. Therefore, it is better to add some third-party utilities to Windows 10. These are five of the best software packages for Windows 10 and other platforms, with which you can delete the files more thoroughly.
CCleaner is an award-winning utility that the Piriform website is proud to have with 1.5 billion downloads. It has an intuitive user interface, extensive options to delete files and consumes minimal system resources. You can add a free version to Windows from this page , and CCleaner also has a Professional version (with a retail price of $ 29.95) that includes many more options.
The free version is only a great utility. Your cleaner tool scans junk files from Windows and third-party software to free up considerable disk space. You can scan and clean the registry with CCleaner. It includes uninstall and startup tools to remove software and startup entries. The Professional and Plus versions also offer scheduled cleaning and disk defragmentation options.
Eraser is software designed to provide more complete deletion of files. With 13 deletion algorithms, this is one of the most effective file removal utilities for Windows 10. And it is a free software that you can add to your hard drive.
In the draft, you can specifically select the files you want to delete instead of just performing general scans. The software integrates with Windows Shell so you can select an Delete option from the file context menus. To delete files and folders more securely, your default Gutmann deletion method overwrites the files several times. In addition, the utility also allows you to configure the deletion schedules.
This is an excellent multipurpose file eraser that also takes full advantage of high-end removal algorithms. Secure Eraser is a versatile utility with a decent user interface design. The software has a freeware and a professional retail version. Press the Download button on the Secure Eraser home page to save the configuration wizard.
In addition to the complete deletion of selected files and folders, the software can erase partitions and drives. It includes a registry cleaner and a system cleaner to delete junk files. Secure Eraser can also generate HTML deletion reports, which is not something that all file removal utilities provide.
Now you can really delete your files with these excellent utilities for Windows. They have the most efficient removal techniques to clean documents and folders.
Programs to delete Windows files forever (and leave no trace)
If you are in this situation, in which you want certain files to disappear forever due to the sensitive information they contain and that it is impossible to recover them, making it as if they had never existed on your computer’s hard drive you should know that there are programs to delete files in Windows
As we said, it is not enough to empty the recycle bin, the process of deleting files from the computer permanently requires other tasks. The best solution is to bet on one of
- Eraser : is perhaps the best known of all and free. Thanks to it we will be able to delete files and folders permanently from our team. It overwrites the data stored on the disk, making it impossible to access them. We tell you step by step how to safely remove confidential files with Eraser .
- Hardwipe : it is very similar to the previous one and with the same objective: to erase Windows documents completely . It is also free.
- sDelete : requires a higher level of computer knowledge. It is responsible for overwriting the data of a file on the disk making the original disappear. The process is carried out from the Windows command prompt window.
- DeleteOnClick : works the same as the previous one when running from the Windows context menu. It is executed by clicking the right mouse button directly from the file.
- WipeFile : This program allows you to delete files using 14 different methods. It is also free, does not need installation on the computer and is available in several languages.
- Active @ KillDisk : here it does not delete specific files, but partitions and entire disks of the computer. The deletion algorithm consists of up to 35 steps.
We remind you that these programs to delete Windows files permanently do not allow you to recover the stored information. If you need more space, you
Thant’s how you can permanently delete files in windows 10.