How to Block Websites on mac: Unblock websites on mac? Want to block all users of a Windows or MAC from opening certain websites, regardless of the browser they use or the time of day? How to Block Websites on mac? You need only make a few simple additions to do it. This method is straightforward and free, and it doesn’t require you to download or install any additional software. It’s an effective method for restricting users of all ages from seeing the content you don’t want them to access. How to Block Websites on mac? There are different ways to go about blocking websites. You can choose to block websites only on specific browsers, the entire operating system, or indeed your network router. Here’s how to block websites. How to Block Websites on mac? You can block websites by using the terminal in OS X, adjusting settings on your router, installing a blocking program, or by adjusting your Safari browser settings. So get some control back and find out different ways to block a website on your Mac. How to Block Websites on mac: Unblock websites on mac:
- How to block websites on iPhone safari, Chrome Firefox browser
- How to Block Websites on iPhone and iPad in Safari iOS 8, iOS 9
- How to Block Websites on Your iPhone & iPad
- Block Porn Websites – iPhone, Android, Windows, Desktop and Apps
- How to block sexual content or Websites on PC, Laptop, iPhone, Mac, Samsung
- How to block Adult websites and explicit content on iPhone and iPad
- How to block porn on iPhone 6 plus, iPad, iPod Touch
- How to Block porn on iPhone and iPad
- Restrict or Block adding friends and Multiplayer games in game Center using Parental controls
Method 1: Block websites on mac through MAC OSX
Open and Start your Mac. Just open your Mac PC or Laptop and turn it on. Wait for it till everything loads and it is ready for use. Now, in order to block websites on your Mac PC or laptop, you have to change, edit or add some mac Computer’s hosts file. A hosts file is a computer file that maps the websites you visit and that allows your computer to be identified through various electronic communication methods, such as the Internet.You can also use the Hosts file to block or work around spyware and ad networks by “zeroing out” their IP addresses – putting in 0.0.0.0 then the name of the domain you’d like to block. The Domain Name System and its associated cache is your Mac’s standard way of knowing how to get to where it’s going on the Internet, but there’s another file that can be very useful. It’s called the Hosts file, and it can be used to override the default DNS information. How to Block Websites on mac: Unblock websites on mac
1 of 3
- In the first step you have to Go to the Main Applications folder.
- Then Tap or Click on Utilities tab.
- Now you have to tap or click on program Terminal from the list as shown in the below images.
- Save a copy of the hosts file. When you are trying to edit a core file then you should always save that file in case if something goes wrong, then you can restore the saved file to its default settings. To make a copy of Mac hosts file, follow the below given steps and instructions: How to Block Websites on mac: Unblock websites on mac
- Type sudo nano /etc/hosts then hit return.
- You’ll be asked for your password. Enter your admin password.
- You’re now in the Nano text editor. You should see something that looks like this
- Hit enter on the terminal command line. This allows you to open up your hosts file in a nano box.
- Enter your admin password when prompted.
- It might seem as if the letters and symbols you’re typing aren’t being recorded because the cursor won’t move. But they are, in fact, being registered properly.
- Once you’re done, hold down the control and O keys to save the file, then control and X to exit.
- 1 of 3
- Now Begin How to Block Websites on mac. If you want to add a new device or domain, move the cursor using the cursor keys and position it after the text you see, then begin typing. f you’re mapping a particular IP address on your local network to a domain, you can type the IP address, hit tab, then type the domain name. if you’d like to make sure a web URL doesn’t go to its intended site: How to Block Websites on mac: Unblock websites on mac1 of 4
- Clear or Flush your Mac’s DNS cache. Your cache is where your computer saves recent information so that it can readily access it at a later date. YBack at the command line, type sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder then type return. That will flush your Mac’s DNS cache, so it doesn’t get confused by any changes you’ve made to the Hosts file.
Method 2: Block websites on mac Using your Router
Access your router’s interface. Your router is the device needed to connect your computer(s) to the internet. To access your router’s web interface, you’ll just need to plug your router’s local IP address into your web browser’s address bar. To find its IP address, open the Network and Sharing Center in the Windows Control Panel. Click the name of your Internet connection.
- How to Block Websites on mac Using TP-Link Wireless Router: How to set up website blocking on our TP-Link routers.
- Open the web browser and type the IP address of the router (default is 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1) orhttp://tplinklogin.net into the address bar and then Press Enter.
- Step 2:Go to Access Control-Host,then click “Add New…”
- Select “IP Address”, then enter a short description for the host rule you want to define in the “Host Description:” box. Enter the IP address range on your network that you want to block access to .
- Click “Save” – the new Host rule will now show up on the “Host Settings” page
- Step 3: Go to Access Control -> Target, then click “Add New…”
- Select “Domain Name” in the “Mode:” box, then enter a brief description of the rule you are setting up. In the “Domain Name:” box(es), enter the keywords you would like the router to block
- Click “Save” – the new Target rule will now show up on the “Target Settings” page
- Step 4: Go to Access Control -> Rule page and tick “Enable Internet Access Control”, then select the option “ Deny the packets specified by any enabled access control policy to pass through the Router” (if this is set to the “Allow” option, all websites other than ones you have set Host/Target rules for will be blocked), then click “Save”. Click “Save” – the new Access Control rule will now show up on the “Access Control Rule Management” page .
- Step 5: To test the rule, try to browse to the site you have blocked from a host PC in the IP address range you defined in the Host rule in Step 1 (for instance, http://www.google.com ). The website will be blocked, and your web browser will report that the site/server cannot be found. How to Block Websites on mac: Unblock websites on mac1 of 11
- How to Block Websites on mac Using Netgear Wireless Router using the NETGEAR genie user interface: You can use keywords to block certain internet sites from your network. You can set blocking to always or base it on a schedule. How to Block Websites on mac: Unblock websites on mac
- To block internet sites: Launch an internet browser from a computer or wireless device that is connected to the network.
- Visit http://www.routerlogin.net. If http://www.routerlogin.net does not work, try the following:
- You are prompted to enter a username and password. Note: username and password are both case sensitive. Note: If the default login credentials do not work, you might have changed the admin password. If you cannot remember your new password, you must perform a factory reset to restore the router to its factory default settings.
- Username: admin
- Password: password
- Click ADVANCED > Security > Block Sites.
- Select one of the Keyword Blocking options:
- Per Schedule. Turn on keyword blocking according to the Schedule settings.
- Always. Turn on keyword blocking all the time (independent of the Schedule).
- In the Keyword field, enter a keyword or internet site that you want to block.
- Click Add Keyword.
The keyword or website is added to the keyword list.
- Click Apply.
Keyword blocking takes effect.1 of 2
Method 3: How to Block Websites on mac using Application SelfControl
How to Block Websites on mac: Unblock websites on mac? If you’re addicted to the internet, Facebook, Twitter and other social networks; there’s nothing to stop you from constantly launching the browser and surfing. “Just 5 minutes,” that’s what you keep telling yourself. Before you know it, over an hour has passed and you still haven’t gotten any work done. In these situations, only Self Control can prevent you from straying. Self Control is a Mac application that will block the internet access to any sites in its blacklist for a preset period of time. How to Block Websites on mac: Unblock websites on mac
- Download and Run Selfcontrol. Created by developer Steve Lambert for free under the GPL, SelfControl blocks a list of domains for a specified period of time in order to help you focus—presumably on work. The app works with websites, e-mail servers, and, as I discovered, even IRC servers and the like. The app provides a blacklist in which you can enter as many sites as you’d like
- Open the app. And start to Block Websites on mac
- Now Begin blocking websites.
1 of 6
- in the first step just tap or Click on edit blacklist.
- You will see the + sign, just tap on it and you will be able to add any site you wish to block.
- You can also Set the timer to block sites. SelfControl slider on the main screen lets you decide how long you want your blacklist to be enforced. You can choose anything from a few minutes to a few hours to block websites on Mac Pc. How to Block Websites on mac: Unblock websites on mac
Method 4: How to Block Websites on mac through Safari Using Parental Control or Restriction Settings
- Use your Mac’s parental controls. These controls are already built into you computer’s operating system (the software that essentially runs your computer).This method might be the easiest, but it’s just as effective as the others. And it requires far less technical know-how.
- From the Apple menu, choose System Preference
- Go to Parental Control.
- Select the user account on the left side of the window that you would like to enable filtering for
- Click “Enable Parental Controls“.
- Select Sites you would like to block.
- Now You will note three other options: “Allow unrestricted access to websites” (unrestricted), “Try to limit access to adult websites automatically” (automatic), and “Allow access to only these websites” (whitelist). The last option has a Customize button below it. We will go with Allow access to only these websites
- Click the Customize button.Now you will see two options: Always allow these websites, and Never allow these websites.
- Now Go to Never allow these websites and click on the + button on the bottom left side.
- Now add a website you wish to block. Example: www.youtube.com.
- Click OK on the bottom right side of the window.
- Now you have learned that How to Block Websites on mac or Unblock websites on mac. How to Block Websites on mac: Unblock websites on mac