- 1 What is autism spectrum disorder
- 2 YOU MAY ALSO LIKE on Autism Spectrum Disorder
The United Nations General Assembly declared unanimously, on 2 April World Autism Awareness Day, to highlight the need to improve the quality of life of these people, to enjoy a full and decent .
As the celebration proclaimed this day to open the fan and awareness worldwide, in addition to providing information to society, so that together we can create better conditions for people suffering from this disorder.
What is autism spectrum disorder
In clinical psychology, when we talk about autism, we refer to a set of similar alterations whose expression varies widely in degree and form of one person to another.
Therefore, when taken as a continuum (spectrum), rather than as a single category, we understand that when we talk about autism and other pervasive developmental disorders, we are using common terms to refer to very different people.
The term autism spectrum was first used by Lorna Wing and Judith Gould in 1979. Lorna Wing in 1988, he said that these people present:
- Disorder in social recognition capabilities.
- Disorder in social communication capabilities.
- repetitive patterns of activity, tendency to routine and difficulties in social imagination.
In Europe a prevalence of approximately one case is given for every hundred births (Autism-Europe aisbl, 2015). In recent studies in the US-CDC, 2012 data are from one case per 88 births.
The causes – What is autism spectrum disorder
Autism is a physical disorder derived from an abnormal biology and chemistry in the brain. The exact causes of this anomaly are still a mystery. It is hypothesized that a combination of factors that favor the presence of ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). It may be hereditary in some families, and so far the research shows that many genes could be involved. What is autism spectrum disorder
They have been weighed against other possible causes, but have not been tested. Some researchers believe that the damage focuses on a specific part of the brain, the amygdala. Other researchers are studying whether a virus could trigger symptoms.Against this desert ambiguities, some parents blame certain childhood vaccines cause ASD. But several investigations have found no verification of this conjecture. The American Academy of Pediatrics (The American Academy of Pediatrics) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (US) ensure that there is no link between autism and vaccines.
Simply increasing children’s diagnoses is due to increased observation in children and new definitions of TEA, as the term ASD now includes conditions that used to be diagnosed separately:
- Autistic Disorder.
- Asperger syndrome.
- childhood disintegrative disorder.
- Pervasive Developmental Disorder.
What symptoms are seen in a child with ASD? What is autism spectrum disorder
There are some typical signs that may occur between 18 and 36 months of age:
- Deafness apparent. No answers calls and indications. It seems to hear some things and not others.
- No persecutes family members or raises his arms to catch him, as if ignored.
- No smiles and rejoices when someone approaches him.
- No he is pointing his finger and looks at the adult to check that look where it also says.
- It does not indicate with your finger to share experiences or to ask for anything.
- It has a dispersed eye contact. Almost never looks at anyone, and when he does, he seems to have lost look, as if there were nothing before.
- It is not fixed in others. It lacks curiosity.
- When you fall, do not cry, nor seeks solace.
- It is excessively independent.
- Overreacts to some stimuli (it is very sensitive to certain sounds or textures).
- It does not react when called by name.
- He prefers to play alone.
- It does not say “goodbye”.
- He does not know entertained with toys.
From 36 months you can also show the following behaviors: What is autism spectrum disorder
- Tends to ignore the children his age, does not seek to interact with them.
- It presents a repetitive distraction and toys used inappropriately. For example: constantly rotating parts, he entertains with pieces of paper in front of the eyes, aligns objects …
- Make stereotypic or monotonous movements, such as hand flapping, hopping, swinging, walking on tiptoe.
- No language used, or is repetitive and no apparent meaning, accompanied by an unusual tone. He does not say things that I said before.
- Not imitate others.
- Avoid eye and personal contact.
- It seems comfortable when alone and obfuscates if their routine is disrupted.
- Certain objects manifest an exaggerated attachment.
- It has many tantrums.
- It is literally “in their world.”
It is a matter absolute alarm (total need for evaluation by a clinical psychologist) if: What is autism spectrum disorder
- Does not babble or make gestures interaction 12 months.
- It does not say single words by 16 months.
- It does not say complete sentences with 24 months.
- Expresses any regression or loss of skills acquired at the normal age.
It is important to remember that sometimes parents refuse to diagnose the disease, because they are concerned that stigmatize his son. However, the prescription is required. If not, the child can not receive the treatment and services you need.
Treatment – What is autism spectrum disorder
There is currently no cure for ASD. But early, appropriate and intensive intervention greatly improves the prognosis of patients. Most programs emphasize encourage the child through a program of constructive activities effectively managed. Therefore, with a adecuad therapy, many of the symptoms improve. And although usually retain some symptoms throughout life, they are able to live with their families and integrate into the community. Finally, I would like to share with you the journey of Mary , a short film created by the great illustrator Miguel Gallardo , the father of protagonist.It reflects the story of a girl with autism, and narrates different situations that parents face since discovered the disorder of her daughter. The film is a poetic excursion into the world of Mary, a journey full of color, love, creativity and originality. What is autism spectrum disorder